Time well spent.In the mid fifties a group of prominent California sports figures and businessmen who were golf enthusiasts decided to build a championship golf course in the hills overlooking Palo Alto and the San Francisco Peninsula. They envisioned a course where no two holes would play alike. The Club was touted to offer "exhilarating play among scenic rolling hills", with "something for everyone".
They incorporated as Palo Alto Hills Golf & Country Club on August 22, 1958 with just hopes and dreams and 145 acres of leased land. The course was graded and seeding and planting began in November of 1959. By February 1960, the course was in and 875 trees had been planted. Clubhouse plans were approved in March 1960 and the Members had taken control and were running the Club. On May 1, 1960 a 9-hole course opened with a celebration golf tournament. 1961 saw the course improved to a beautiful 18-hole course.
Ground was broken for the Clubhouse on July 9, 1960 and opened for the Members' use on September 23, 1961. In 1962 the lease was converted to a purchase on a 30-year note and Palo Alto Hills Golf & Country Club now proudly owned their own Club. The final payment on this note was made in May of 1990 making Palo Alto Hills Golf & Country Club the first club to own their own land in the Bay Area.
Over the decades, renovations and improvements have been made in all areas of the Club. An advanced (for the time) sprinkler system was installed in 1981. Major renovations to the course and expansion of the Clubhouse were completed in March 1996. Smaller golf course and facilities improvements were implemented over the following 10 years. In 2006, our 48-year old kitchen was completely re-built along with renovations to the Grand Ballroom.
Most recently, a huge expansion project was completed in 2010 to round out the Club's services. A brand new 35,000 square foot fitness center was built and includes a spacious workout room, two fitness classrooms, a full service spa, locker rooms, family changing areas, small parking garage, babysitting center and youth game room. In addition to the fitness center, a new infinity pool, grass tennis court, children's playground, kiddie pool and Poolside Grill were also completed as part of the project.
Change, innovation, fun and friends now rule the day, month in and month out at this multi-cultural club where diversity reigns and there is truly something for everyone.